Report a Concern

Under California law and University policy, members of the campus community, and others, have a responsibility to report concerns and allegations of suspected improper governmental activities within the University. UCSF has established policies and procedures for appropriately managing such reports and investigating reported allegations. Information on the University’s policy and procedures are available on the UCSF Whistleblower Policies and Procedures page. 

UCSF has several options available for asking questions or reporting concerns:

1. Communicate with an immediate supervisor or manager

If you have a question or concern regarding the appropriateness of a decision or action, you are encouraged to communicate with an immediate supervisor, manager, or team leader as they likely the most familiar with the particular job requirements and business practices.

2. Talk with higher-level management

If you are not comfortable speaking with a direct supervisor or manager, you should contact a higher level manager in the department or within UCSF Health to report your concerns and allegations of suspected improper governmental activities within the University.

3. Contact the Office of Healthcare Compliance & Privacy

The Office of Healthcare Compliance and Privacy serves as a resource to the UCSF Health community. At any point in the process, you can bring a question or concern to our office. 

For compliance-related matters (e.g. revenue cycle compliance, fraud, conflicts of interest, gifts, etc.), email [email protected] or call the office at (415) 502-2790.

For privacy-related matters (e.g. reporting a privacy incident or asking a privacy question), see our Report a Privacy Incident page or call the main line at (415) 353-2750.

4. Obtain help from other university resources

You can contact management within other departments at UCSF or the UC Office of the President for additional guidance or information. There are a number of resources within the organization that are available to help, including human resources, internal audit, and legal counsel, depending on the nature of the issue.

5. Call the Compliance Hotline

At any point, you can contact the UC Compliance Hotline to raise questions or report suspected violations. The University of California has established an independently-operated hotline to help ensure confidentiality, for reporting concerns and allegations of suspected improper governmental activities. If you contact the Compliance Hotline, you may choose to remain anonymous. Reports will be investigated or referred to appropriate personnel for resolution.

Reports can be made by phone at 1-800-403-4744 or through the online portal.